Monday, January 5, 2009

Birdie Birth Control Needed

Even the best made plans have a way of unraveling. One of my first priorities was to make sure my birds would be well cared for while I was in Africa. My friend Suzie, who has watched them before, was overjoyed when I asked her if she'd mind watching them for two years. The plan was to hand her over three cockatiels before we left for staging.
Then, on Friday, six and a half weeks before we leave for Zambia, one of the three eggs Devonny laid at the bottom of the cage began to cheep. The standard practice for preventing eggs from hatching is to shake them shortly after they're laid. I hadn't thought it necessary to do so, because the eggs were laid at the bottom of the cage, which generally doesn't bode well, and I had witnessed Harlow playing with them roughly. Plus they started to smell like, well rotting eggs. On Saturday, the little mistake Hester hatched:
During our remaining weeks in the U.S., her eyes will open, she'll grow pin feathers that will transform into real feathers, and by the time she and her sister and parents go to live with Suzie, she'll begin to wean. As we prepare to leave our old life behind, a new life will grow and thrive. As we board an airplane and cross the Atlantic, she too will begin to test her wings for the first time and explore something new.
Her hatching was inconvenient, especially since we'll miss her precious adolescence, but plans change.

8 comments:

  1. Hester was not a mistake and that's mean to say. Hester was meant to be even if the little birdy was unexpected. Love u and chris lots and hope all goes well in Zambia.

    Love ur little sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the title "The 'Bush' Path Less Travel By" since the current administration or the future administration, “The ‘Obama’ Path Less Traveled By” would be proud of your volunteer efforts. Make sure you date you blog inputs if they do become infrequent so that we can gage the age of the information. The blog “tool” may do this automatically but today’s entry is not yet dated; possibly tomorrow it will be dated automatically. It would be great if the cities that you visit had computers with scanners so that you could post written diary entries as a scanned object then the time to input your information would of a shorter duration and actually even more personalized. Again, good luck and I do enjoy the “Bush” title. Take Care from the 42N 76W at -5UTC with Zambia at +2UTC = 7 time zones, wow! … vestalnightowls 0030EST (0530UTC) Tues 1-06-2009 ***end***

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello again! I now see the date on your blog that I previously missed. The next question is, will you have an email address to contact you directly? Take care, vestalnightowls 0050EST (0550UTC) Tues 1-06-2009 ***end***

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Again from Vestal !!! For a final note & for the record, this is the first time I have ever "blogged". I have emailed since 1997, used a crude computer for a math test and calendar generation in 3rd grade circa 1973, played with a ?TI? "red led" calculator circa 1970, said hello to the farthest reaches of the globe with radio operators in Antarctica & New Zealand via my Dad’s amateur radio in the early 1970’s but only had my first "IM" conversation with cousin Megan in Maine for 45 minutes this past Dec 2008...technology, cool !!!! … and soon, Zambia ! Take care, vestalnightowls 0115EST (0615UTC) Tues 1-06-2009 PS I still do not own a cell phone therefore I am truly blessed. ***end***

    ReplyDelete
  5. I,for one, still wish you wouldn't go to Africa as I will miss you terribly & be worried about you constantly!! However, I know you will do what you want to do & I don't want to take your dreams away from you so BE CAREFUL and make sure to let us know how you are, every chance you get!! We will be thinking about you! LOVE, HUGS, & KISSES MOM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting. Its always nice to learn something positive about Africa. Chris and Nicole i really commend you both for taking a stand for what you believe in. It takes a real special person to endure such living conditions, and be away from loved ones in order to help others that you don't even know. i know i couldnt do it. lol. Chris thanks for looking after my sis while your there. :) Nicole thanks for...well just being the best sister and aunt that a girl could ask for. We all love you guys very very much and you will both be in our prayers. i know deep in my heart that you guys will have the such incredible memories to last a lifetime. you will make such a difference. Im so proud to call you my sister and brother in law. i am constantly telling every one i know of all your accomplishments. BE SAFE and BE STRONG and BE HAPPY. Dont forget to send me and your nephews and niece a postcard. Love you guys so very much. Love. Andrea, Tyler, Darrin, and Makayla

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris and Nikki - I am so excited for both of you and actually envious in some ways! To be your age and going on this journey together, nothing will ever compare. We are all looking forward to your entries and sharing as much of this adventure as possible with you. Be descriptive, be creative, we will enjoy every moment of listening to your voices in your writings.
    From the little man: When I mentioned you would be issued mountain bikes...."What kind of mountain bikes? Really GOOD mountain bikes?"
    From Hanney when we received the party invite: "Oh, that means I can't go and say goodbye to them ..."
    Stay safe, stay in love and most of all HAVE FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you are giving back to others who really need it. I will be praying for you, and am glad we will be able to keep up with you here. Aunt Alberta

    ReplyDelete