Friday, April 24, 2009

We're officially Peace Corps volunteers!

Chris and I swore in as Peace Corps volunteers along with the 33 other people in our training class this morning at the American ambassador's residence in Lusaka. Chris read his speech perfectly, and singing the American national anthem followed by the Zambian national anthem felt pretty amazing. We feel really proud to be two of the 170 volunteers working hand-in-hand with Zambia towards development, fulfilling John F. Kennedy's legacy, and making Obama proud.

On that note, Chris and I bought Obama citenges yesterday. They're pieces of fabric with Obama's picture printed on them and the map of Africa. I intend to have mine made into a skirt. Everytime we say we're from America, we inevitably get a Zambian shouting "Obama!"

The next big event is moving into our new house in just a few short days! Our first house as a married couple... a mud hut in Africa!

1 comment:

  1. Hope all is well with you guys as I haven't heard from you in a while!! Have you gotten my letters or package that I sent you? Heather said her SAT test wasn't too bad & next week Tues. she takes her driving test. This weekend we are going to Syracuse for a gymnastics meet & Horseheads for a vball tournament. When is the next time that I can call you?? Weather here has been cooler & overcast with a fair amount of rain. I have been waiting for some more of those 70 - 80 degree days we had a couple weeks ago. WE have been thinking about you & John's parents were asking about you when we visited them this past weekend for John's mother's bday. I saw no one had posted a reply here so I figured I would be the first!! How's life in the mud hut without running water or a shower/toilet?? I get chills just thinking about that!! I know I couldn't do that for 2 whole years!! Hope you had a Happy Easter - we hid an Easter basket in the woods for Tyler & Makayla & then walked to them much to their surprise; except for Tyler he was convinced I put them there ( John did )even tho' I walked into the woods with them! Andrea now has full custody of Makayla & is very happy about that! If I send another package where should I send it to? Let me know - I bought some little Easter toys that were discounted that I want to mail to you but am unsure where to send it to make sure you get it?? Also please let me know if you got the other package I sent you?? LOVE, HUGS, & KISSES, MOM, JOHN, & Heather 5/6/09

    ReplyDelete