Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Tukopeniko, Ba Chrisi!

Jack fruit, or manna. A really tasty fruit that's the size of my torso.

Before a girl gets married, there's a ceremony in which her female relatives and the banacimbusa teach her some lessons. These were painted on the wall of the bride's house. Every picture represents a lesson. The two red lines on the bottom are a road, so a woman is instructed to look behind her and remember her family and where she came from. She needs to
respect her in-laws and husband. They need to submit to their husbands. Some of the pictures are sexual lessons. The lion represents a man (red, in the middle) and the hyena a woman. The women should let the man catch her when he needs "to feed" (read between the lines). Likewise, the fruit tree (not pictured) can drop its fruit whenever, just like a man's sex drive. On the top left, there is a pregnant prostitute. Women should not be like her.
The BanaBwinga about to get married. I wasn't there, but Chris describes the girl on the right as her "mini bride."

Willow (10 mos. old now) and Tiger. Tiger's adopted us and now wherever we go, we have two dogs following us.
Ba Allan and BanaChrisi, his wife, making nshima. She's a great cook.
Little Chrisi, Ba Allan's son. 5 mos. old.
Little Chrisi is also an aspiring acrobat.


It's a hassle to upload pictures on Blogger with a slow internet connection, so check Chris' facebook page for everything.

1 comment:

  1. Nikki - I am never sure whether it's better to reply here, send a message on facebook, or send you an email?? Which is the easiest & quickest for you to get? I always enjoy reading your blogs & looking at your pics!! Do you want me to send you some more kids books or what else would help you teach the English?? Boy! you have your hands full teaching all the sex issues & trying to buck tradition is never easy. Remember, though, you are doing a good job over there and even if you only help 3 people - that's 3 lives YOU are responsible for changing! Thank God women have it better here than in Africa, I would find that part extremely hard to deal with, especially knowing how scatter-brained men can be sometimes!! That manna fruit looks like it could feed a family of 10 with how big it is! Stay away from the damn poisonous snakes will you?? I thought cobras only lived in India, you have them in Africa too? For Girl Scouts, our troop is doing a Thinking Day project on Africa, Are there any Girl Scouts in your area or Kasama or Lusaka?? I need to know what they are called there? Let me know what you need in your next box that I send you?? I finally finished the Xmas letter but we mailed it a few days ago and i made it a New Years card!! I will put yours & Chris' in the next packaage I mail you!! Take care & I still need to know when I can call you!! Let me know?? Love, Hugs, & Kisses MOM

    ReplyDelete